20 August 2015

Tsamaea Hantle, bra Winston, 1943 - 2009



Mankunku

Dark golden boat
on a sea
far away, rock with me
rock with me:

deep-throated bird
gentle me home
past the mud-lined street
where thoughts stick fast
and children pick rubbish
hungrily

the night flakes notes
from the scalp of my sorrow

hide in my pillow
and cry for me
© Kelwyn Sole 1987


"Legendary jazz saxophonist Winston Mankunku Ngozi died at Victoria Hospital in Wynberg, Cape Town, the ANC said.

Ngozi, 66, died from a heart-related illness, ANC spokesperson Brian Sokutu said in a statement.

'His death is a huge loss to South Africa, particularly the music fraternity. We join many South Africans in paying tribute to this jazz icon who became a beacon of hope and inspired so many artists.'

He said Ngozi used his talent to inspire social, economic, cultural and political change in the country.

Ngozi's recording in 1968 of the famous Yakhal' Inkomo album , together with Early Mabuza, Agrippa Magwaza and Lionel Pillay, earned him the 'Jazz Musician of the Year' award."
[source...]

4 comments:

Kay said...

Awesome poem. Love it. Thanks.

Rethabile said...

Kay,
I hope Kelwyn hears that. But he probably knows, already. I hope you're doing good.

Nana Fredua-Agyeman said...

thanks for this piece...or to Kelwyn for this piece...

Rethabile said...

The jam is Mankunku, the words are Kelwyn. Thanks for them.